Terre Sabaude is the most prestigious brand owned and produced by Produttori di Govone. The company was founded in 1957 as a small farm association that has now grown to 200 active growers. Situated on the left bank of the Tanaro River between Asti and Alba, the town of Govone has a glorious history. Thanks to its position at the crossroads of trade routes since Roman times, Govone always had a strategic importance for the rulers of southern Piedmont. Presently, its position, the meeting point for the prestigious wine zones of Langhe, Roero and Monferrato, has made Govone a village well-suited for wine production. The company cultivates 300 acres, with its flagship being the production of wines from Nebbiolo and Barbera grapes.
The Produttori di Govone includes a large part of the “Langhe” wine district. In this territory the grape varieties and their own peculiarities express the rural culture. There are different winegrowing regions:
Nebbiolo, Roero Arneis and Barbera d’Alba grapes grown in Castagnito, Vezza and Priocca, the Dolcetto grapes grow in Diano d’Alba and the Barbera d’Asti in Portacomaro and Montegrosso. Moreover the Company has also a premium production of premium lines from the top quality territories of Barolo and Barbaresco. All the members own the vineyards, and they work closely with technicians for the excellent quality and historical passion. During the year, oenologists study and optimized production operations based on the characteristics and position of the vineyards
where tradition and quality make a representative product of the land.
The Company has 295 hectares of vineyards for a total average annual production of 2,000,000 liters of wines:
79 hectares of Barbera d’Alba vineyards
97 hectares of Barbera d’Asti vineyards
27 hectares of Nebbiolo d’Alba vineyards
26 hectares of Arneis vineyards
20 hectares of Dolcetto vineyards
46 hectares of the following vineyards: Bonarda, Freisa, Grignolino, Cortese, Chardonnay, Favorita and Ruchè.
To take a look to the future, there are five hectares of vineyards suited for the testing of biological wines.
The winery was also founded in 1957, it combines modernity and tradition.
In the cellar visitors can breathe the history of the members, which follow the purpose to give great wines and high standard products. The grapes arrive in the cellar after a careful selection and they are carried into the steels barrels, where the process of their conversion starts. Each step in the cellar is closely supervised in order to achieve a certification by the “Quality Policy”. Surrounded by a quiet atmosphere, the ageing cellar welcomes the wines which need to ripe in large barrels, while younger wines and white wines get mature in vats. The winery is completed by the remaining departments: bottling, warehouse and storage. In the last five years the attention to the quality and details has improved a lot thanks to the method HACCP and to the traceability system in each processing step to achieve excellent results. The Company produces an average of 5.000.000 bottles per year for the pleasure of clients all over the world enjoying one of the excellence of Italian lifestyle.